Tuesday, November 24, 2009

2 Races in two days!

It has been an extremely busy fall thus far. I have really been focusing on using my time wisely so that I can get in better shape and actually be more competitive when racing. I am happy to say that all those rides pulling Lars in the trailer and early morning treadmill runs seem to have paid off abit. Last weekend I raced the Cheshire Cross race in Cheshire, CT and then the Spooky Bikes Cross Race in Easthampton, MA.

The Cheshire race turned out to be a blast of a course. Several people called it a mountain bikey course. It must have been because alot of the course was in the woods. I absolutely loved the course as it was a bike handler's course and there were two sizable run-ups. Hunter did a great job with the course. I loved the way he made the twisty stuff in the most technically difficult areas such as on a downhill that was both muddy and covered with pine needles! In the most recent races I have been close to last or last but on Saturday I managed to pull 12th place.

On Sunday the Spooky race turned out to be a similar course in terms of the twisty aspect. There was not as much elevation change which did not play in my favor. The guys with lots of gear grinding power fair much better on these courses. I did like the course. The barriers and run-ups were put in strategic areas that I never really got the right rhythm on. I spent most of the race playing cat and mouse with Dan C. He had my strengths and weaknesses figured out. I had been struggling in the sand section the whole race and he attacked me in the last sand section of the race to get a gap. I think that he was just plain stronger than me anyway!

We capped the weekend with lunch in Northampton with some friends at La Veracruzana Mexican Restaurant.

I will have to work on my cross technique some more for the remaining races this year and of course make sure that I keep up my early morning exercise during the week. It really makes a difference both mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment